Salary range: The current base pay range is $117,268 - $164,656. Other components of pay are offered when necessary to meet competitive conditions.
Under the direction of the Head of School, the Associate Head of School (AHoS) conceptualizes and leads the complex range of activities comprising Geffen Academy's academic, co-curricular and extra curricular program. The AHoS oversees academic and programmatic articulation, ensuring consistency and progression between the Middle School (grades 6-8) and the Upper School (grades 9-12).
The AHoS reviews and approves classroom educator hiring recommendations and partners with the Dean of Faculty, Dean of Instruction, and the HR team on teacher and relevant academic administrator and coordinator performance evaluations. The AHoS aims to create a strong pipeline of professional, talented and diverse candidates aligned with the school’s mission and values.
The AHoS works in partnership with the Chief Administrative Officer, Chief Advancement Officer, Dean of Students and School Culture, and other members of school leadership to provide strategic and tactical guidance to the Head of School. The AHoS will serve as a thought partner for the Head of School and other members of the administrative team.
Core Duties and Responsibilities
• Under the direction of the Head of School, the AHoS leads strategic planning and implementation of the school’s academic program.
• Manages the school’s accreditation processes.
• Works closely with HR/Chief Administrative Officer to manage the appointment process for relevant academic and unit 18 employees.
• Leads the management of the school schedule, the selection of curricula, assessment policies, graduation requirements, and all aspects of the school’s academic program.
• Oversees, in partnership with the Director of Academic Advising and College Guidance and the school Registrar/Scheduler, the process by which academic advising yields appropriate placement for all students.
• Collaborate with the Director of Admissions, the Director of Advancement, and the Communications Manager to create innovative ways to articulate the school’s program to the broader community.
• Understands the campus facilities’ needs required to operate an excellent and efficient academic program.
• Supervises, manages, and leads recruitment for the Principal Learning Specialist, Registrar/Scheduler, and Faculty Services Coordinator.
• In absence of HoS, manages all academic and program responsibilities as well as communications to the school community. Collaborates with Chief Administrative Officer as needed.
Teaching and Learning
• Fosters professionalism, collegiality, and ethical conduct among all Educators.
• Supervises the MS and US Division Directors and the Dean of Faculty and Dean of Instruction to assure that the divisions and departments appropriately implement curricula.
• Supervises the MS/US Division Directors to be sure that students have access to appropriate academic support.
• Provides support to MS and US Division Directors to assure that students, Educators, and families’ concerns are heard and appropriately addressed.
• Under the direction of the HoS, and in partnership with HR, leads the hiring and onboarding/orientation of teachers, academic coordinators and academic administrators.
• In consultation with the HoS, designs the processes for the evaluation of all Unit 18 members and academic personnel.
• Consults with the Dean of Faculty to implement performance evaluation program for Unit 18 members, Department chairs, and other appropriate academic personnel.
• Consults with the Dean of Instruction to construct an active program to support and advance teaching and learning at the school.
• As leader for the Learning Specialist Department, assure the school appropriately manages all academic accommodations for students with identified disabilities.
• Advises Facilities and IT so that the physical learning environment, including technology, are adequate for instructional areas.
• In partnership with the Dean of Faculty, ensures that department chairs and teachers are adhering to records management policy and procedures as outlined in the Geffen Academy’s Employee Handbook and Geffen Educators MOU.