Are you an experienced PYP teacher who is eager to move to an administrative role? Are you keen to develop and articulate a uniform, detailed preschool through grade 5 curriculum, including vertical and horizontal linkages of curriculum? Are you committed to effective pedagogy and student assessment? Can you work individually with all teachers to support their practices and professional growth, including formally assessing and documenting their effectiveness and progress?
Washington International School's Primary School located in Georgetown, NW, DC, seeks an experienced educator with knowledge of organizational change, curriculum development and the design and implementation of student assessment and reporting systems to support the Primary Years Programme (PYP).
Major functions and responsibilities
The DOTL/PYP Coordinator will:
- Champion the School’s mission, core values, and core beliefs while ensuring their alignment with teaching practices.
- Lead the ongoing development of the Primary Years Programme, including the School’s Programme of Inquiry and PYP Exhibition.
- Foster a “culture of thinking” among teachers and students, consistent with the School’s involvement with Project Zero.
- Engage teachers in formative conversations about effective instruction, observe them regularly in their classrooms, serve as a resource for their professional development, and formally assess their progress.
- Provide in-house professional development, and promote relevant professional development to faculty in line with school goals.
- Oversee the curriculum for preschool through grade 5 to ensure the excellence of all academic programs, suggesting recommendations for improvement to the Principals and supporting new and innovative programs.
- Ensure that teachers maintain and update the School’s curriculum mapping and its articulation to the public (i.e., online curriculum on WIS website).
- Assist teachers in matching the School’s curriculum objectives to their formative and summative assessment of students.
- Assure uniformity in assessment, parent reporting, and academic standards.
- Support teachers in assigning effective and appropriate homework.
- In collaboration with Information Services personnel, assist teachers with identifying and utilizing appropriate educational technology and resources.
- Remain knowledgeable about external standards and expectations, in particular those of the International Baccalaureate. Work closely with the Middle/Upper School Director of Teaching and Learning to align curricular objectives and standards.
- When required, clearly articulate the goals and objectives of the educational program to all pertinent constituencies through parent presentations and written communications.
- Network with his or her counterparts at other schools, with a particular focus on dual language and PYP schools.
- Facilitate the self-study process for reauthorization with the Primary Years Programme.
- Attend conferences and professional meetings in order to remain current with relevant trends.
- Prepare an annual report on the state of teaching and learning, including all changes to the curriculum.
- Participate in school administrative meetings.
- Manage the School’s relationship with external organizations, such as George Washington University, in conjunction with Middle/Upper School Director of Teaching and Learning.
- Coordinate visits and/or internships for external parties interested in exploring the School’s practice and pedagogy.
- Perform other duties as may be prescribed by the Head of School or Associate Head of School.