Job Description for the role of “High School Principal”
The High School Principal serves as the Chief Operating Officer of the school, supervising all of the day-to-day operations of the school. Reporting directly to the President, the Principal’s role includes but is not limited to the following:
- Ensures that the school philosophy reflects the religious mission of the school and Church doctrine, and that teachers are hired who contribute to these tenets.
- Oversees the entire religious education component, involving teaching staff, parents, and other members of the community.
- Coordinates with Campus Ministry so as to ensure that programs are facilitated that assist the school in its religious mission.
- Develops policies and procedures that impact the school on a daily basis, such as homework, lateness, credits for graduation, discipline, attendance, etc.
- Maintains accurate records, particularly in the area of Guidance.
- Establishes regulations and procedures for school safety with respect to fire drills and lockdowns and works with local law enforcement in these areas.
- Attends meetings at the request of the Superintendent and President.
- Facilitates the closure of school as necessitated by inclement weather or an emergency.
- Prepares the school calendar for approval by the President and Superintendent.
- Interviews and recommends the hiring of teachers, clarifies faculty responsibilities, assists new teachers, conducts orientation days, recommends contract renewals and non-renewals.
- Supervises and evaluates the instructional and administrative staff, and provides professional development opportunities.
- Delineates faculty responsibilities and expectations in a faculty handbook and establishes an internal means of communication and chain of command.
- Coordinates with the administrative staff the safety protocols as established by the Diocese related to minors.
- Motivates, inspires, and supports the faculty in all areas, including teaching students to the highest possible standards and adhering to those standards.
- Periodically reviews the curriculum with the appropriate faculty for timeliness, relevance, factual content, textbook selection, and relationship to best educational practices.
- Observes teachers on a formal and informal basis.
- Works with the Academic Council to ensure that academic standards are followed.
- Participates in the budget process, fundraising programs, and other budget areas as assigned by the President.
- Supervises the budgeting and spending of monies such as Non-public technology aid, NCLB, IDEA, etc.
- Work with and supports the Parent Board in achieving its objectives.
- Communicates with parents through newsletters, open houses, back-to-school nights, letters, Honeywell alerts, etc.
- Realizes that he/she represents the school and its community at all times and is cognizant of that responsibility.
- Establishes good and productive working relationships with other principals of sending schools and with other schools within the Diocese.
- Work with the Athletic Director for the betterment of the athletic program.
- Ensures that accurate eligibility records are kept of all student-athletes.
- Attends games and matches on a periodic basis.