Trinity School, a coeducational, K-12 institution located on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, seeks a Learning Specialist – Grades 5-8, beginning September 2017.
- Serve as an integral member of the Student Support Services Team under the supervision of the Director of Learning Support and the Middle School Principal.
- Meet routinely with the Director of Learning Support and other learning specialists within the division and across divisions to share information about students, to set goals for the division and department, and to engage in professional development.
- Provide academic services in the form of individual, small and large group academic coaching, with an emphasis on bringing together research and best teaching practices to remediate the vulnerable aspects of our students across educational settings, which include language arts, math, social studies and science. Some specific responsibilities include:
- Provide reading support for students who need to strengthen their critical reading skills to keep pace with the curriculum.
- Teach specific writing strategies to students who need improve on their writing skills.
- Providing resources, strategies and teaching techniques to teachers to support students with varying learning needs.
- Participate in grade level team meetings, when necessary.
- Coordinate and analyze assessments to help problem solve students’ learning challenges and track their progress.
- Work with students individually and in small groups to teach study skills, including fundamental organizational and planning skills and to provide direct support to students who are academically vulnerable.
- Collaborate with faculty and observe classes and individual students when necessary to help increase our teachers’ awareness and understanding of students’ learning needs and to help differentiate classroom instruction for students with different learning styles or specific learning challenges.
- Consult with parents in coordination with the Director of Learning Support, as well as, the Middle School Psychologist, Principal, Assistant Principal, Deans and Advisors as necessary in order to:
- Help parents understand the challenges faced by academically vulnerable students in school assist in the development of a plan for parental support at home.
- Facilitate and strengthen communication between and among the student, parents, teachers, and educational professionals from the private sector.
- Make appropriate referrals for private tutoring and/or academic coaching in consort with the Director of Learning Support and students’ Middle School support team.
- Develop, implement and monitor a school-based learning plan with a profile that includes instructional learning goals and accommodations for eligible students.
- Teach study skills to sixth grade students. Strategies such as highlighting, note taking, and test taking skills are emphasized.
- Meet with Lower School teachers and Learning Specialists to better understand and support the students who are entering the Middle School. Communicate frequently throughout the year.
- Make presentations to parents and faculty highlighting the support of the Learning Center.
- Serving as Homeroom Teacher and Advisor: communicate with advisees and parents throughout the year on academic, emotional, and social issues.
- Support the coordination of school-based informal and standardized tests for students, including those eligible for accommodations.
- Participate in Middle School life.
- Assume duties as requested by the Director of Learning Support and Middle School Principal.
An Equal Opportunity Employer, Trinity School seeks candidates who will add to the diversity of our school community.
Interested candidates should post a resume as well as a cover letter outlining their readiness for this position to http://www.applicantstack.com/client/trinityschool/x/openings