Trinity School, a coeducational, K-12 institution located on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, seeks a Learning Specialist – Grades K-4, beginning September 2017.
- Serve as an integral member of the Student Support Services Team under the supervision of the Director of Learning Support and Lower School Principal.
- Meet routinely with the Director of Learning Support and other learning specialists within the division and across divisions on agreed upon schedules to share information about students, to set goals for the division and department, and to engage in professional development.
- Provide academic services in the form of individual, small and large group academic coaching, with an emphasis to bring together research and best teaching practices to remediate the vulnerable aspects of our students across educational settings, including language arts, math, social studies and science. Some specific responsibilities include:
- Teaching reading, writing and language arts skills to students in Grades K-2.
- Teaching reading, writing and language arts skills in collaboration with classroom teachers in Grades 3 and 4.
- Providing resources, strategies and teaching techniques to teachers to support students with varying learning needs.
- Participate in grade level team meetings, when necessary.
- Coordinate and analyze assessments to help problem solve students’ learning challenges and track their progress.
- Work with students individually and in small groups to teach study skills, including fundamental organization and planning skills, and to directly support students who are academically vulnerable.
- Collaborate with faculty and observe classes and individual students when necessary to help increase our teachers’ awareness and understanding of students’ learning needs and to help differentiate classroom instruction for students with different learning styles or specific learning challenges.
- Consult with parents in coordination with the Director of Learning Support as well as the Lower School psychologist, principal, assistant principal, curriculum coordinators and teachers, as necessary
- to help parents understand the challenges faced by academically vulnerable students in school;
- to assist in the development of a plan for parental support at home; and
- to facilitate and strengthen communication between and among the student, parents, teachers, and educational professionals from the private sector.
- Make appropriate referrals for private tutoring and/or academic coaching, in consort with the Director of Learning Support and students’ Lower School support team.
- Develop, implement, and monitor a school-based learning plan with a profile that includes instructional learning goals and accommodations for eligible students.
- Support the coordination of school-based informal and standardized tests for students, including those eligible for accommodations.
- Participate in Lower School life. (Some examples include participation in curriculum evenings, attending grade level performances, etc.)
- Assume duties as requested by the Director of Learning Support and Lower School Principal.
An Equal Opportunity Employer, Trinity School seeks candidates who will add to the diversity of our school community.
Interested candidates should post a resume as well as a cover letter outlining their readiness for this position to http://www.applicantstack.com/client/trinityschool/x/openings