The MUSE Academy is seeking a Head of School who will be responsible for the launch and oversight of a new independent school in Brooklyn, NY.
MUSE Academy at the Brooklyn Music School will provide students with a comprehensive humanistic education, that includes, arts, languages, humanities, mathematics, and sciences, with a strong focus on music and the performing arts. MUSE Academy is targeted to open in the Fall of 2018 for students from pre-K to second grade and then expand to include a full grade school and a middle school. Our Mission is to help children grow into fully rounded students, artists, and citizens who are highly successful academically, develop their full potential in music and the performing arts, and acquire the skills required to be able to thrive in a fast evolving world.
This position will report directly to the Board of Trustees and collaborate closely with the Director of Music & Performance of MUSE Academy. We are seeking an individual with experience in education as both teacher and administrator and a passion for humanistic education. We also require strong skills in business and organizational management, leadership and talent development, as well an entrepreneurial energy level and drive required to found a new, highly differentiated educational institution.
The job includes full responsibility for the academic standards and business performance of the MUSE Academy, including:
- Working with Board to refine five-year financial plan for launch of the school
- Producing detailed annual budgets in collaboration with finance team, and then managing school to meet quarterly and annual financial targets, including mid-term adjustments as dictated by unforeseen events
- Defining the academic curriculum and standards for grades pre-K through 5 and collaborating closely with Director of Music & Performance to integrate academics with an intensive music, drama, and dance curriculum
- Overseeing aggressive marketing program and running information sessions to meet enrollment targets, including supervising the Director of Marketing and Admissions and converting prospective parents into committed and happy customers
- Designing and overseeing an appropriate academic and behavioral evaluation system to determine if prospective incoming students will thrive within our academic program, and coordinating with Director of Music & Performance for a music and performance evaluation/audition process for upper grades
- Maintaining a safe and secure environment for students at all times when they are under supervision of the school, including systems for verification of pick ups, screening faculty and staff, and safety, health, and emergency procedures
- Managing effective parent communications program to keep parents fully informed about events and milestones at the school and in their child’s class as well, as all logistical issues
- Recruiting all faculty for academic subjects and visual arts and provide coaching, quality control, and leadership to enable them to perform and grow as educators
- Collaborating to effectively use shared resources, including Finance Team, Security, Maintenance and Theater Operations
- Recruiting and supervising additional administrative staff as organization grows
- Establishing policies on range of key issues including grading, report cards, parent meetings, discipline, academic calendar, etc.
- Selecting technology platforms for billing and tuition and attendance, grading, and parent reporting
- Once school is at scale, coordinate fundraising as required for competitive scholarships and capital projects
- Overseeing our Afterschool Program and tracking private lessons for grades 1 and above in close collaboration with Director of Music & Performance
- Collaborating with the Board and Executive Director on plans for facility expansion to accommodate growth, improvement of facilities for MUSE Academy, and addition of middle school
We are looking for an exceptional individual to realize our ambitious vision for a brand new humanistic independent grade school and middle school within the context of a more than one-hundred-year old music school located in the heart of Brooklyn’s cultural district and in an exploding urban core of new high-density residential development. Experience as a private or independent Head of School, Principal, Associate Head of School, Vice Principal, or Assistant Principal would be a plus.
Compensation will be tied to growth in the school and achievement of agreed upon milestones and metrics. The Board will evaluate the effectiveness of the Head of School on basis of tangible markers of success, including:
- Meeting annual goals for enrollment, revenues and cash flow
- Providing effective leadership to faculty and staff through recruiting, coaching, and providing encouragement, structure and direction
- Translating vision for school into well-defined curriculum that draws upon established best practices for early childhood education, primary education, and ensuring quality of execution of instruction
- Achieving high levels of customer satisfaction from parents on the quality of education children are receiving and quality of interactions with faculty and the school
- Working effectively as a team with Director of Music & Performance, Executive Director of BMS, and BMS staff
- Providing effective and timely communications and reporting to BMS Board and collaborating effectively in strategic planning process
- Developing a positive brand reputation for the school in our geographic region
This is a unique chance to make your mark in how children are educated in one of the most diverse, sophisticated, and fast-growing educational markets in the country. If you believe you are the right person to lead and grow the MUSE Academy, please forward a resume and cover letter indicating why you believe you are a fit for the position.