Randolph-Macon Academy, founded in 1892, is a college-preparatory, coeducational boarding school for students in grades 6 through 12. Students in grades 9-12 participate in R-MA’s 91st Air Force Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps (JROTC), and have the opportunity to fly in a unique flight program. R-MA is affiliated with the United Methodist Church and is located in Front Royal, VA.
The Middle School is a private day and boarding school that provides a structured yet nurturing program for students in grades 6-8. Students receive personal attention due to small class sizes (8:1 student-teacher ratio).
Because R-MA is a private middle school, our dedicated and experienced faculty and staff have the freedom to spark students' excitement through dynamic instruction. Our students discover their potential and develop a love of learning that is supported by their peers. Self-discipline is established as they are carefully guided by teachers, mentors, coaches, and dorm counselors who know them not just as students, but as individuals. The diverse selection of electives and advanced course offerings prepare each student to tackle the high school curriculum.
Position Overview: Randolph-Macon Academy is seeking a Middle School Principal who will be responsible for providing direction, leadership, and expertise in an environment that promotes a love of learning. The Middle School Principal supervises 7 faculty and one support administrative assistant with approximately 55+ students. This is a full-time, 12 month, benefited, exempt level position. The start date for the position is July 1, 2017.
The position reports directly to the President of the Academy.
- Lead movement of Middle School to project-based learning style that is student-led thus maximizing student engagement and excitement for learning
- Facilitate collaborative learning at the Middle School level
- Help develop methods of teaching that use cutting edge technology to spark interest and desire to learn
- Lead and direct all aspects of Middle School life at the Academy ensuring a safe and nurturing environment
- Maintain a culture and love of learning; self-discipline and strong positive morals
- Assist with hiring, inspiring and retaining the highest quality faculty members
- Work collaboratively with the Upper School to provide a seamless transition from Middle School to Upper School
- Assist with development of curriculum and ensure curriculum is relevant and forward thinking
- Monitor classroom instruction to include teacher evaluations
- Provide instructional resources and materials to faculty
- Manage student disciplinary structure that results in positive student behavior
- Foster collegiality and team building among staff members and help facilitate meetings to ensure cross-curriculum with the Upper School
- Communicate and promote expectations; set goals and implement at the Middle School level
- Assist with recruiting, admitting and retaining students
- Develop and implement annual Middle School budget
- Conduct conferences with parents and students