Trinity School, a coeducational, K-12 institution located on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, seeks an Upper School Assistant Principal, beginning August 2017.
The assistant principal reports to the upper school principal. To ensure a dynamic learning environment, the assistant principal will collaborate with the principal in oversight and/or development of all divisional operations involving students and faculty in the upper school, and will be a part of all discussions involving educational program. As directed by the principal, the assistant principal also takes a lead in operational aspects of upper school life, including the management of facilities and emergency procedures, in addition to the direction of student life. Finally, the assistant principal will take part in the hiring and supervision of support personnel, and in the hiring of instructional personnel.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities: as directed by the principal, the assistant principal will:
- Act as a leader in the upper school, sharing responsibility for its day-to-day operation.
- Co-direct the activities of the division’s non-instructional staff in the performance of their duties.
- Help to coordinate the comprehensive advisory program.
- Supervise the activities of sponsors/advisors of various student organizations and activities as well as faculty committees by request of the principal.
- Coordinate co-curricular and extra-curricular activity programs, including advising and the planning and presentation of school assemblies and events.
- In consultation with the upper school administrative team and faculty, establish guidelines for proper student conduct and dress and supervise the student discipline process.
- Share responsibility for articulating the division’s programs, expectations, behavioral guidelines, and other information necessary to ensure that all constituencies are fully informed consonant with their individual roles.
- Oversee maintenance of accurate records of student attendance and citizenship.
- Teach one class or equivalent duties.
- Maintain budgets for responsibilities and programs under their direct purview.
- Collaborate in maintenance of a comprehensive upper school calendar of events.
- Revise the upper school student handbook annually as needed in conjunction with the principal.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain a visible presence in all areas of the upper school.
- Collaborate in reviewing and evaluating the division’s programs.
- Serve as consultants to teachers in matters of classroom management, and general school procedures.
- Assist in fostering an environment in which learning can take place in a school climate that is supportive and reflects high morale.
- Demonstrate awareness of the educational, physical, social, and psychological needs of the school community, and work with the principal and others to develop plans for meeting those needs.
- Support the principal in ensuring that teachers are familiar with and adhere to school policies in all areas of the division’s operation.
- Strive for unity, harmony, and cooperation through tact, helpfulness, respect, and the recognition of individual differences and the special abilities and strengths of each member of the upper school community.
- Support the class deans and advisors in the academic and personal guidance of students.
- Work toward resolution of concerns—both routine and unique—as they arise, maintaining timely communication with the principal.
- Assist in the process for interviewing, evaluating, and testing applicants for enrollment if necessary.
- Share responsibility for coordination of the transition process for students from middle school to upper school.
- Chaperone students when necessary, including evening events and overnight travel.
- Participate in evening programs and events for students and parents.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the principal.
- A master’s degree
- Academic teaching and/or curriculum design experience, or equivalent school experience
- Administrative experience, with supervisory duties of personnel preferred
- Experience building community by designing and implementing diversity and inclusion initiatives
- Experience implementing or overseeing student mentoring and leadership programs
An Equal Opportunity Employer, Trinity School seeks candidates who will add to the diversity of our school community.
Interested candidates should post a resume as well as a cover letter outlining their readiness for this position to http://www.applicantstack.com/client/trinityschool/x/openings